Testing, testing – can you hear me? It’s been a hot minute since I last wrote, did you forget about me? I swear I didn’t forget you, I’ve just been super duper busy. I hope we can still be friends! Long story short: I was taken down by what I think was the flu during our last week in Spain, flew back home three weeks ago, packed up a moving truck at my parents and drove five hours to our new apartment in Pittsburgh. There was a lot of family time, some self-imposed me time and a lot of puppy cuddles. I also got a new computer, accepted a new position working for the city, AND successfully restocked our pantry.
To say it’s been a whirlwind is a bit of an understatement!
Making our new apartment feel more like home has been my main goal over the last few weeks. I think I’ve done a fairly decent job of it, and with quite a few trips to IKEA under my belt, I’m finally done buying the necessary furniture we need. Now it’s on to the fun stuff: incorporating our travels into our decor!
Incorporating our goodies into our everyday life has quickly turned into one of my favorite things. For instance, I forgot that I brought back this towel that I found in Edinburgh – I’ve turned it into a wall hanging, which is an instant conversation starter.
I’ve also found places for all of our magnets, whether they be on our fridge or our new bar cart.
And some pieces are just hanging out, like our golem from Prague with the Eiffel Tower, sitting next to this card we bought right before leaving our apartment in Leith. I’m still waiting on the frame to arrive for our card, so this arrangement will be changing in the future.
But the decor I currently love the most would have to be my handmade push pins! We came home with a lot of coins from our travels. I wasn’t sure what I was going to be doing with them, but since I have so many I decided to take a couple and do this really quick and easy DIY!
Aren’t they cute? I like that they add a bit of interest to what is otherwise an ordinary area of our apartment – my “office”.
These were super easy to make and you probably have everything you need to make them right at home!
Travel Inspired Push Pins!
What you need:
- Coins from your travels
- Glue gun
- Push pins
- Cloth or paper to protect the surface you’re working on
How to make your push pins:
- Pick out the coins you want to use and decide what side you want to be showing. Sounds like a no brainer, but I messed up on the first pin I made, so I thought it a fair warning. I also found it helpful to take a picture because of the next step.
- Wash your coins with a bit of soap and warm water. Allow to dry.
- Plug in your glue gun and allow to heat up. Place all of your coins so that the side you want showing is facing DOWN.
- Once the glue gun is heated, dab off any excess glue on your cloth or paper. Take the gun and place a generous dollop of glue on your coin.
- IMMEDIATELY place the push pin on the glue and push in. Be careful here, the hot glue will make the push pin warm to the touch.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 for all of your coins.
- Allow to dry.
- Use your new push pins to hold all of your papers up!
Voila! How easy peasy was that? I love them, absolutely adore them, and I am so happy with how they turned out. I’m going to count my first foray into travel DIYs successful.
Let me know if you have any favorite ways to showcase the bits and baubles you bring home from your travels! I’ve got quite a few postcards, tickets and maps I’m brainstorming plans for.
I also hope you will bear with me as I transition into my new job and figure out the best schedule for blogging. I’ve got some city guides I’m working on as well as long-form stories from our travels, since I haven’t shared anything after Croatia which was back in October, holy crap where did the time go?
I hope you all have a fantastic week wherever you are!